Saturday 20 May 2017

Quick Update Beautifying the UI



Video link:
DropBox

I've finally completely upgraded from the legacy UI to the improved UI. In other words this was also a week spent on the back end. In other words I don't think a release build would serve much purpose, but I still wanted something to show, so I spent some time creating art for the UI. It was quite enjoyable working on something less technical for a bit. Also I suppose it will help with first impressions. I'm planning on focusing my attention towards establishing a basic gameplay loop the coming week.

Added/altered some menu graphics:
Main menu:

  • Start game Icon
  • Customize Icon
  • Patreon Icon
  • Blog Icon
  • Quit Icon
  • Restart Icon
  • Added the Title Card (currently clashes with the other design.)
Customization:
  • Return Icon
  • Modding Tutorial cleanup
  • Resized The colour pickers.

Dialogue:
  • Text now looks a bit better with strokes.

Technical:
  • Finished converting everything from the legacy UI to the new system.
  • Reworked the way some of the poses work.
  • Tweaked some of the shaders again.

2 comments:

  1. UI Theme
    UI is definitely better, though I'm not sure it's theme matches the game. It gives the impression of some 'cutesy' game for teenage girls. Then again, was that what you were going for (to match pure MC)? Also you may as well do a custom cursor to match everything else.

    Color Picker
    Don't know if it's worthwhile but with the color picker, what about exposing the specular values ('Metallic' & 'Smoothness' in U5's default shader)? Actually perhaps even the emission value (Glowing eyes etc). Though if you're using custom shaders then it'll be a bit more tricky.

    Texture Browser
    For the eye texture browser (and the other future texture browsers, tattoos etc), may be a good idea to include a search bar, as games with mod support like this (eg CG3D) often have issues with navigating large quantities of assets. Actually it may be even better to let the player group files in sub folders which can be navigated through ingame (Ex 'Eye / Symbols / Heart.png'). Could go even further with ingame support for toggling which modpacks are active.

    Dialogue Box
    The ingame dialogue box text seems a little small, wouldn't mind option to increase font size. Also the speakers name should be bold and a larger font size to the dialogue.

    Menu Title
    A quick fix would be to remove the background behind the text and giving it an outline instead. Could change the text font to match menu button's as well.

    Video
    Also not important but your video has edges cut off slightly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UI Theme
      I was thinking of using more purple/violet when the player gets further into the game. You can already see hinting towards it whenever a button is pressed. If I start out all dark and gritty then I would imagine things would have less of an impact. I totally forgot about the mouse, thanks for reminding me.

      Color Picker
      I'm currently using custom shaders, and I won't add anything like that before I actually figure out how to do the shaders properly.

      Texture Browser
      Good Ideas. I was thinking of adding a standard file browser that allows you to set and import stuff into the texture folder. The search function should be doable since I added names to the buttons, I would have to think of a decent solution performance wise. I'll definitely consider all these when the game gets a larger playerbase.

      Dialogue Box
      You are correct! I forgot to make it scale vertically. Font size is an easy fix, thanks for reporting it. Allowing the player to switch font sizes is pretty nice and it flew over my head, good catch.

      Menu Title
      Yeah a Stroke should work nicely. I'll check if the font fits.

      Video
      I didn't record it in a proper fullscreen, so I eyeballed the cropping. I'll do a proper fullscreen next time.

      I really appreciate your feedback.

      Delete