Sunday 6 August 2017

Poor Chan Prologue Alpha 0.3.5 Release!



Windows 64bit: MEGA  (Runs better, older computers can't run it)
Windows 32bit: MEGA  (For older computers)
Mac OS: MEGA  (Not fully supported*)
Linux: MEGA  (Not fully supported*)
*I do not own a Mac or Linux myself so I can't bugtest these.*

What's been done:
The classroom model is now so to speak finished and implemented into the game as a new area you can visit through the park gate. Together with this the foundation for attending classes is now in the game, currently it only advances time and is counted as one big study session. Later this will be divided into smaller segments allowing you to do other things while waiting for the next class. I was thinking of something like the AA2s interaction system with other students.

UI:
  • Now shows time as "Day # Monday XX:XX". I'm going to add some basic sun/moon icons to easily identify each "period" soon.
  • A lot of feedback related changes previously mentioned in the 24.june quick update.
Map:
  • The classroom map has been added.
  • Moved the handjob scene a bit to the side so it makes sense with the sofa.
Gameplay:
  • The game now keeps track of days.
  • The Sleeping tent now advances time to the next day 06:30. I plan for the player to have more control over this later down the line.
  • Travelling between the park and the school takes 30 minutes.
  • Studying at the school advances the time to 16:00. It also checks if you're late to class, which currently doesn't do much more.
  • Added a Debug tool to increase your money.
  • Screenshot functionality by pressing F12. It's currently saved in the Data folder.
  • As mentioned earlier you can now name your character.

What I want out of this release is mainly any feedback in regards to the classroom's performance. If it runs "fine" or good then I'd like to know of that too. Going the extra mile would be to include average FPS, GFX card and CPU to further my understanding.

3 comments:

  1. Performance seems fine (64bit build), getting solid 60fps (according to Steam overlay) throughout park & school. This is with my rig that is long overdue for a graphics card update.
    Specs; CPU: i7-3970X, GFX: 680GTX, RAM: 32GB

    Feedback
    - If you want FPS info you should include an ingame FPS meter for convenience (could even have it generate log file with min, max, average fps and system info (https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/SystemInfo.html))
    - You still haven't replaced tank controls, swapping A/D to be based of mouse movement will only take a minute
    - Wasn't immediately obvious how to get to school (since park entrance has barricades), Suggest throwing in a street/"direction" sign next to the fountain. Also maybe make a simple low poly school exterior (Even if it's just a cube with a smaller cube on top) with giant sign that says "school" and place it outside of park (as scenery).
    - Level of detail in the classroom seems inconsistent, the desks are more detailed (higher poly) than anything else. Also those low res textures
    - Top right buttons don't work in school for whatever reason
    - Your debugging cash giver is weird, why would you base it off time like the energy drain? Just make it activate when you press 'E' and give $10 or something (possibly have multiple buttons for different denominations (ex +1, +10, +100))
    - Both energy and health can drop to '-10'
    - Lack of animation transitions during dialogue is jarring
    - As I've said before, some simple clothing customization wouldn't take much (toggle vest, change panties color/texture, toggle panties)
    - Saving character customization really would be nice, just a simple binary file, even if it has to be manually c&p'd across to the new versions folder.
    - Game doesn't "remember" not to re-show the customization guide pop-up each time game is re-booted. (You can store a bool in above file or just PlayerPrefs if you want to be lazy)


    I thought you said you'd improve the bedroom? It still doesn't even have wallpaper yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the detailed performance feedback.

      >Systeminfo
      I was aware that unity had some native ways of dealing with this, it just didn't cross my mind to actually put it in. My bad.
      >Tank Controls
      Yeah I didn't really touch the controls this time around. I really want something like Phantom pains control scheme, were you got the free walk(Control camera independent of movement), and the aim down sights, like the way you suggested. Like this shouldn't be a problem to make as you said, I just keep on getting sidetracked on other parts of the project.
      >Make school more obvious.
      Yeah, those are good points. "Even if it's just a cube with a smaller cube on top" this actually made me chuckle a little, but it's pretty true that you achieve a lot with very little.
      >Classroom Level of detail
      You got a good eye and you're completely correct. I guess I subconsciously made everything else with less polys after finishing the tables and the chairs. Oh and I'm not really a texture guy so the textures are what I could find that was CC (https://search.creativecommons.org/). The detail on them might have been lost as I focused on making the seams blend nicely. I want to replace them later down the line when I get my hands on "Substance Painter", It's probably the first thing I would use the income from patreon on if it ever kicked off.
      >Top right buttons don't work in the classroom.
      Wait what? (Opens unity.) Ok I was actually somewhat puzzled there, but it seems like I simply didn't have an eventsystem on that scene. Fixed*
      >Debug money tool
      It's copy paste code from the ones next to it. If I wanted to make it proper I would probably let you guys just input the correct amount.
      >Both energy and life go to -10.
      Working as intended, probably a bit confusing since the "falling" states haven't been implemented yet, and there are no animations to reflect it either. As a brief summary: Currently you will move slower when you have low energy or life(both are cumulative). When you go below 0 energy you start straining your body, and therefore you will also start losing life whenever you lose energy. Not currently implemented is that "PoorChan" will struggle to stay conscious when either life or energy is below 0, thus there would be a chance to fall unconscious whenever you go further below 0. I want to make unconsciousness automatic at -10 energy. Point is I'm trying to set it up so that player knows that it is dangerous to keep on resisting when they get around 0 in one of these params, which would make way for some pretty cool events. Do you keep on fighting know that retreat will be harder if you get low on energy? Do you keep resisting when potentially falling unconscious might rob you of an opportunity to escape later. Do you escalate the encounter to a life and death match (Life points will be harder to get back than energy)? Keep in mind it's subject to change.
      >Lack of animations transitions during dialogue.
      Will fix after I decide to rework my rig in the form of new animations probably.
      >Clothing customization
      Low priority, it should be easy enough to do when I decide to do it.
      >Save customization presets
      This will probably be implemented when the customization get's closer to finished. Right now I want people to fiddle with it whenever they can.
      >Don't show tutorial to me twice
      Sorry I forgot.

      The bedroom is WIP so it's still in the 3D modeling program and haven't been implemented.

      Delete
    2. Ignore the double spaces, they weren't in the original text, some kind of copy paste formatting bug I suppose.

      Delete